Title - 'Big Little Lies [Music From Season 2]' (2LP)
Artist - Various
For those not in the know, ABKCO Music & Records actually released its second 'Big Little Lies' soundtrack digitally on July 19th, just ahead of the July 21st season finale of the multiple Emmy® and Golden Globe®-winning series.
That was immediately followed with the CD on September 6th, and a quite wondrous 2LP vinyl in gatefold sleeve on September 27th, 2019.
Big Little Lies: Music from Season 2 of the HBO® Limited Series includes music by Willie Nelson, Charles Bradley and the Spinners and is highlighted by previously unreleased exclusive tracks by Leon Bridges and Jim James.
1. 'I'll Be Around' - The Spinners (Episode 1)
2. 'Good Thing Gone' - Elle King (Episode 2)
3. 'Harvest Moon' - Cassandra Wilson (Episode 1)
4. 'Until You Came Into My Life' - Ann Peebles (Episode 6)
5. 'The Fade Out Line' - Phoebe Killdeer and The Short Straws (Episode 1)
6. 'Great Big Bundle of Love' - Brenton Wood (Episode 2)
7. 'Let Love Stand A Chance' - Charles Bradley (feat. Menahan Street Band) (Episode 2)
8. 'Baby' - Donnie & Joe Emerson (Episode 5)
9. 'Dreams' - POP ETC (Episode 4)
10. 'That Was Yesterday' - Leon Bridges (Episode 7)
11. 'Why Can't We Live Together' - Jim James (Episode 4)
12. 'Have You Ever Seen The Rain' - Willie Nelson feat. Paula Nelson (Episode 7)
13. 'Piece of My Heart' - Christina Vierra and The Ryan Rehm Band (Episode 7)
14. 'Shake Sugaree' - Elizabeth Cotten and Brenda Evans (Episode 6)
In truth, Big Little Lies [Music From Season 2] is a rather solid, if not stand alone studio album that, once again, melds and weaves various musical influences into and throughout the TV series.
Side A opens with The Spinners' beloved first hit, 'I'll Be Around' (played in the very first episode when the Monterey Five greet each other on the first day of school), and then follows on with both the raw, earthy, breathy tone of 'Good Thing Gone' (from Elle King) and then the crystalline beauty of the ballad 'Harvest Moon' from Cassandra Wilson (which plays whilst Celeste drives home and remembers the good moments with Perry while Mary Louise cooks dinner).
Side B opens with the always-a-delight-to-hear 1974 hit 'Until You Came Into My Life' from Ann Peebles, which in turn is followed by Phoebe Killdeer & The Short Straws' finger-snappin' gem 'The Fade Out Line' (which plays at the open air bar while Jane and Celeste are having a drink together).
Next up is the pep and bounce flow of 1970's 'Great Big Bundle Of Love' from Brenton Wood with 2013's 'Let Love Stand A Chance' from Charles Bradley now being enforced here by the Brooklyn, New York-based instrumental group, the Menahan Street Band.
Side C opens with Donnie And Joe Emerson late '70s smooth roll 'Baby,' and then comes one of the stand out tracks for me on this entire 2LP set, POP ETC's magnificently lush take on Fleetwood Mac's infamous 'Dreams.'
Played as Madeline is out of bed early and watching the light of the sunrise against the ocean while drinking coffee, that right royal musical gem is backed seamlessly by a pair of previously unreleased songs: Leon Bridges' 'That Was Yesterday' and Jim James' Why Can't We Live Together
by Jim James cover of Timmy Thomas's gorgeous, spare soul mantra from 1973.
Side D opens with Willie Nelson and his daughter Paula on Creedence Clearwater Revival's 'Have You Ever Seen The Rain,' and baks that up with an absolutely blistering take on Janis Joplan's 'Piece Of My Heart' by Christina Vierra and The Ryan Rehm Band.
Finally bringing the musical show to a close is an amazing trip down memory lane on 'Shake Sugaree,' from Elizabeth Cotten on guitar and her twelve year-old great grandchild Brenda Evans singing from back in 1967.
2LP Vinyl Amazon Purchase Link
ABKCO @ Facebook