Title - 'The Peanute Butter Falcon'
Artist - Various
Winner of SXSW Audience Award and an early Oscar candidate, 'The Peanut Butter Falcon' is a modern day Mark Twain adventure featuring a top ensemble cast highlighted by Shia LaBeouf and Dakota Johnson.
After running away from a residential nursing home to pursue his dream of becoming a pro wrestler, a man who has Down syndrome befriends an outlaw who becomes his coach and ally.
The folk-based soundtrack features new songs from Sara Watkins, (Nickel Creek, I’m With Her), Butch Walker and a score lead by members of 2018 Grammy Winners for Best Folk Album, The Punch Brothers. Additional tracks come from The Staples Singers, Ola Belle Reed and more.
1. 'Cold Open' (1:27)
2. 'Clean Up Your Act, Tyler – Flashback' (1:31)
3. 'Crab Trap Beat Down' (1:40)
4. 'Uncloudy Day' - Performed by The Staple Singers (3:00)
5. 'On The Water – Boat Chase' (3:09)
6. 'On The Water – Coast Is Clear' (0:35)
7. 'Traveling Theme' (1:46)
8. 'What Is Your Name – Elanore Canvasing' (1:18)
9. 'You Led Me To The Wrong' - Performed by Ola Belle Reed (4:15)
10. 'Where The Wild, Wild Flowers Grow' - Performed by Ola Belle Reed (2:27)
11. 'Tyler Teaches Zak To Swim' (1:05)
12. 'Whippoorwills' - Performed by Chance McCoy (3:46)
13. 'My Heart Keeps Singing / Baptism' (2:32)
14. 'Give You All The Wishes – Flashback' (0:59)
15. 'Love Me In Kind' (0:50)
16. 'The Peanut Butter Falcon Emerges' (1:25)
17. 'Canvassing' (0:35)
18. 'Bad Boys' (0:50)
19. 'The Stable Song' - Performed by Gregory Alan Isakov with the Colorado Symphony (6:12)
20. 'Hold Up Tyler – Bad Boys' (1:57)
21. 'This Heartache' - Performed by The Time Jumpers (3:37)
22. 'Wrestling Theme' (3:26)
23. 'Atomic Throw' (4:02)
24. 'Running For So Long (House A Home)' - Performed by Parker Ainsworth, Butch Walker, Paris Jackson and Jessie Payo (4:35)
25. 'Long Hot Summer Days' - Performed by Sara Watkins (3:17)
The 'Cold Open,' performed by Jonathan Sadoff, Zachary Dawes, Noam Pikelny and Gabe Witcher (as being a score, they handle it all) is a atmospheric pin into what to expect from this insightfully creative soundtrack (to a film that is, without a shadow of a doubt, one of my favorites of the past decade!)
The duo of the banjo-led 'Clean Up Your Act, Tyler – Flashback' and the anthemically building force that is 'Crab Trap Beat Down' keep the momentum simmering, whilst as we progress tracks such as the lighter, more playful 'Traveling Theme' and 'What Is Your Name - Elanore Canvasing' open the door nicely for Chance McCoy's down South bounce within 'Whippoorwills.'
The beautiful, albeit short (0.48) 'Love Me In Kind' is just a stand out cut here for me and that's backed by the more foreboding 'The Peanut Butter Falcon Emerges,' 'Bad Boys' and 'Hold Up Tyler - Bad Boys.'
The album then rounds out with 'This Heartache' from Grammy award-winning band The Time Jumpers, the frenetic electric guitar and drum jam 'Wrestling Theme,' the concisely clockwork appeal of 'Atomic Throw,' and then both the gentle Country ache of 'Running For So Long (House A Home)' (performed by Parker Ainsworth, Butch Walker, Paris Jackson and Jessie Payo), and then the fiddle-to-the-fore 'Long Hot Summer Days' - performed by American singer-songwriter, and fiddler supreme, of course, Sara Watkins.
“Michael Schwartz and Tyler Nilson are very musical and it was clear they heard what they wanted the film to sound like as they wrote the script," Zach Dawes, composer and music supervisor, has since said.
"We discussed scores they liked as well as a curated playlist that felt aligned with the characters and place. ‘Atomic Throw’ at the end of the picture is my favorite musical moment because it serves the fantastical elements of the story – the music branches off from previous arrangements and instrumentation in a nice ethereal manner."
"I hope audiences see the importance of human connection and how integral that is to love and happiness. Family is what you make it and never be afraid to trust or love someone, or something.”
CD Purchase Link