Title - 'Aladdin' (OST)
Artist - Alan Menken
A thrilling and vibrant live-action adaptation of Disney's 1992 animated classic, 'Aladdin' is the exciting tale of the charming street rat Aladdin, the courageous and self-determined Princess Jasmine and the Genie who may be the key to their future.
The film was written by John August and Guy Ritchie, directed by Guy Ritchie, and stars: Mena Massoud, Naomi Scott, Will Smith, Marwan Kenzari, Navid Negahban, Nasim Pedrad, Billy Magnussen, and Numan Acar.
1. 'Arabian Nights (2019)' Will Smith
2. 'One Jump Ahead' Mena Massoud
3. 'One Jump Ahead (Reprise)' Mena Massoud
4. 'Speechless (Part 1)' Naomi Scott
5. 'Friend Like Me' Will Smith
6. 'Prince Ali' Will Smith
7. 'A Whole New World' Mena Massoud & Naomi Scott
8. 'One Jump Ahead (Reprise 2)' Mena Massoud
9. 'Speechless (Part 2)' Naomi Scott
10. 'A Whole New World (End Title)' ZAYN & Zhavia Ward
11. 'Friend Like Me (End Title)' [feat. DJ Khaled] Will Smith
12. 'Speechless (Full)' Naomi Scott
13. 'The Big Ship' Alan Menken
14. 'Agrabah Marketplace' Alan Menken
15. 'Aladdins Hideout' Alan Menken
16. 'Jasmine Meets Prince Anders' Alan Menken
17. 'Breaking In' Alan Menken
18. 'Returning the Bracelet' Alan Menken
19. 'The Dunes' Alan Menken
20. 'Simple Oil Lamp' Alan Menken
21. 'The Cave of Wonders' Alan Menken
22. 'The Basics' Alan Menken
23. 'Escape from the Cave' Alan Menken
24. 'Prince Alis Outfit' Alan Menken
25. 'Until Tomorrow' Alan Menken
26. 'Aladdins Second Wish' Alan Menken
27. 'Never Called a Master Friend' Alan Menken
28. 'Harvest Dance' Alan Menken
29. 'Jafar Becomes Sultan' Alan Menken
30. 'Hakims Loyalty Tested' Alan Menken
31. 'Most Powerful Sorcerer' Alan Menken
32. 'Carpet Chase' Alan Menken
33. 'Jafar Summons the Storm' Alan Menken
34. 'Jafars Final Wish' Alan Menken
35. 'Genie Set Free' Alan Menken
36. 'The Wedding' Alan Menken
37. 'Friend Like Me (Finale)' Alan Menken
Personally, I was unaware of Will Smith's musical background and so was amazed at his reach here on this soundtrack! If you recall, the one and only Robin Williams was primarily an actor and so much of his singing on the 1992 soundtrack was spoken word.
Regardless, Mena Massoud as Aladdin was very good, but here in this live action remake, Naomi Scott is simply terrific!
There were some welcome changes to the lyrics in this version too, mostly to things that were problematic in the 1992 version (such as celebrating the idea that Prince Ali has slaves, however culturally appropriate it might have been for the setting).
Another great addition was that Jasmine has her own song (albeit too short, even with a reprise). This grants her a "theme" that is used in the score to good effect.
The score itself is Alan Menken all over, and very recognizably so, as anyone who is a Newsies fan (or of any other Disney score he has done) can tell you.
I listen to a lot of soundtracks and scores and I won't physically purchase one that doesn't interest me. Sure this CD was given to us to review, but still, trust me when I say that 'Aladdin' (2019) doesn't disappoint!
In closing, this sumptuous and exotically captivating soundtrack album is fun and lively, and you simply cannot help but sing aloud to the songs you know, learn the new ones with repeat plays, and stop from moving your hips to the intoxicating rhythms!
CD Purchase Link