Title - 'Piano Book: Deluxe Edition'
Artist - Lang Lang
For those not in the know, Lang Lang is a Chinese concert pianist who has performed with leading orchestras in the United States, Europe, and Canada, in addition to his native China.
A leading figure in classical music today, as a pianist, educator and philanthropist Lang Lang has become one of the world’s most influential and committed ambassadors for the arts in the 21st century.
Equally happy playing for billions of viewers at the 2008 Olympic Opening Ceremony in Beijing or just for a few hundred children in the public schools, he is a master of communicating through music.
Heralded by the New York Times as “the hottest artist on the classical music planet”, Lang Lang plays sold-out concerts all over the world.
He has formed ongoing collaborations with conductors including Sir Simon Rattle, Gustavo Dudamel, Daniel Barenboim and Christoph Eschenbach and performs with all the world’s top orchestras.
Lang Lang is known for thinking outside the box and frequently steps into different musical worlds. His performances at the GRAMMY Awards with Metallica, Pharrell Williams or jazz legend Herbie Hancock were watched by millions of viewers.
For about a decade Lang Lang has contributed to musical education worldwide. In 2008 he founded the Lang Lang International Music Foundation aimed at cultivating tomorrow’s top pianists, championing music education at the forefront of technology, and building a young audience through live music experiences.
In 2013 Lang Lang was designated by the Secretary General of the United Nations as a Messenger of Peace focusing on global education.
With this new collection, Piano Book: Deluxe Edition Lang Lang goes back to his first love - to the pieces that made him want to become a musician in the first place.
Rediscovering the most popular and accessible pieces written for learners and lovers of the piano, this album is a journey; of inspiration, of discovery, fantasy and learning.
It is a moment for Lang Lang to illuminate these classic pieces as the masterworks they truly are. It is also a reflection on the music that influenced him most during his early childhood, later in life coping with difficult moments, and working with young piano learners around the world.
Music can change lives and Piano Book tells this story. "I dedicate this album to my wonderful piano students and all my friends around the world who love the piano as much as I do," Lang Lang has said.
1. 'Prelude in C major BW V 846' from The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1
2. 'Bagatelle No. 25 in A minor, "Für Elise" Wo O 59'
3. 'The Departure' (Original version appears in the soundtrack to The Leftovers)
4. 'Song Without Words in C major, "Spinning Song" Op. 67 No. 4'
5. 'Clair de lune L. 75 No. 3' from Suite bergamasque
6. 'Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum L. 113 No. 1' from Children's Corner
7. 'Prélude in D flat major, "Raindrop" Op. 28 No. 15'
8. 'Allegro from Piano Sonata No. 16 in C major, r "Sonata facile" K 545'
9. 'Andante (in F major)' from Sonatina in C major Op. 36 No. 1
10. 'Presto Op. 299 No. 1' from The School of Velocity
11. 'La Valse d'Amélie from 6 Pieces for Piano Vol. 2' (Original version appears in the soundtrack to Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain)
12. 'Rêverie L. 68'
13. 'Moment musical in F minor D 780 No. 3'
14. 'To Spring Op. 43 No. 6' from Lyric Pieces, Book III
15. 'Wilder Reiter Op. 68 No. 8' from Album für die Jugend
16. 'Staccato FP 65 No. 2' from Villageoises. Petites Pièces enfantines pour piano
17. 'The Merry Shepherd Boy' - SAKAMOTO
18. 'Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence' (Original version appears in the soundtrack to Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence)
19. 'The Maiden's Prayer Op. 4' - MOZART
20. '12 Piano Variations in C major on "Ah, vous dirai-je, Maman" K 265 (300e)'
21. 'Minuet in G major from Notebook for Anna Magdalena Bach BW V Anh. 114 (App. D)'
1. 'Eliza Aria No. 2' from the Wild Swans Concert Suite
2. 'The Chop Waltz' ("Chopsticks") - CHINESE TRADITIONAL
3. 'Jasmine Flower'
4. 'Danza de la moza donosa Op. 2 No. 2' from Danzas argentinas
5. Limu, limu, lima
6. 'Nimrod Op. 36 No. 9' from Enigma Variations
8. 'Maple Leaf Rag'
From the very off, the first disc showcases Lang Lang's impeccable and truly poignant piano work on 'Prelude in C major BW V 846 from The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1' and never looks back.
Chock full of his unique personality throughout each price, as he makes his way patiently through these new tracks, playing each one as majestically, as beautifully as I think I've ever heard them been portrayed before, Lang Lang's passion for this new project knows no boundaries.
From the free flowing key work on the stirring 'The Departure' (Original version appears in the soundtrack to The Leftovers) to the absolutely breathtakingly stunning rendition of 'Clair de lune L. 75 No. 3 from Suite bergamasque,' to the has-to-be-heard-to-be-believed firefly display on 'Presto Op. 299 No. 1' from The School of Velocity to the perky notes of 'The Merry Shepherd Boy' by Ryuichi Sakamoto, the recording is as perfect as perfect could ever hope to be.
Featuring en masse of classics from my childhood, although here being reinterpreted by a true master, Lang Lang continues onward with more old school classics - which we all grew up either playing or listening to - such as the haunting 'Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence' (Original version appears in the soundtrack to Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence), the fun and playful 'The Chop Waltz' ("Chopsticks") - CHINESE TRADITIONAL (just listen to his fingers slip and slide), and we even get a bright and breezy rendition of Scott Joplin's 'Maple Leaf Rag' to round the second disc out with.
Official Purchase Link