Title - 'Detroit Breakout!'
Artist - Mitch Ryder Appearing With Guests
For those not in the know, legendary blue eyed soul singer and one of Detroit music's most iconic figures, Mitch Ryder has returned with a host of friends to reimagine 14 soul and classic rock anthems!
Featuring guest performances by fellow Motor City alumni James Williamson of The Stooges and Wayne Kramer of MC5 as well as blues legends Joe Louis Walker and Arthur Adams, not forgetting the New York Dolls' Sylvain Sylvain, The Runaways' Cherie Currie, daughter of B.B. King, Shirley King and more, Detroit Breakout! is a quite stunning album to behold!
1. 'Devil with a Blue Dress' (Feat. James Williamson)
2. 'Cool Jerk' (Feat. Wayne Kramer & Brian Auger)
3. 'Dirty Water' (Feat. Sylvain Sylvain)
4. 'Turn Back the Hands of Time' (Feat. Shirley King)
5. 'Have Love Will Travel' (Feat. Paul Rudolph)
6. '(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone' (Feat. Walter Lure)
7. 'Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream)' (Feat. Cherie Currie)
8. '(Sittin' on) the Dock of the Bay' (Feat. Arthur Adams)
9. 'Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)' (Feat. Lee Oskar)
10. 'Bad Bad Leroy Brown' (Feat. Joe Louis Walker)
11. 'You Send Me' (Feat. Linda Gail Lewis)
12. 'Twistin' the Night Away' (Feat. Joe Louis Walker)
13. 'If I Had a Hammer' (Feat. Linda Gail Lewis)
14. 'Shout' (Feat. Linda Gail Lewis)
Including smokin' new versions of Ryder's own blockbuster hit single 'Devil With A Blue Dress' as well as '60s/'70s soul classics such as 'Cool Jerk,' 'Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me),' '(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay' and lots more, the 14 tracks will have you hitting repeat every time it comes to and end, that's for sure!
This breathtaking new album kicks off with a new rendition of Ryder's classic 1966 hit with his band The Detroit Wheels, 'Devil with a Blue Dress.' Featuring Williamson on guitar it's more paced than it used to be, but contains no less the energy, for sure.
Other stand out cuts include a cover of The Capitols' hip swingin', dancefloor shuffle 'Cool Jerk' (featuring Wayne Kramer & Brian Auger), a thunderously gritty 'Dirty Water' cover of The Standells hit (featuring Sylvian Sylvain), and they are backed seamlessly by both the quietly melodic Tyrone Davis cover 'Turn Back the Hands of Time' (with Shirley King), and righteously raw 'Have Love, Will Travel' from The Sonics (featuring Paul Rudolph).
A muted '[I'm Not Your] Steppin' Stone' (The Monkees) featuring Walter Luke is next and that's backed by a joyous Roy Orbison cover of 'Dream Baby (How Long Must I Dream)' (featuring Cherie Currie) and a lush '[Sittin' On] The Dock of the Bay' (Otis Redding) with Arthur Adams.
The Temptations get a dust off next with 'Just My Imagination (Running Away with Me)' featuring Lee Oskar and then comes the vibrant blues swing of Jim Croce's 'Bad, Bad Leroy Brown' (featuring Joe Louis Walker) and one of the best tracks here, in my humble opinion, a cover of Sam Cooke's endearing 'You Send Me' featuring Linda Gail Lewis.
Cooke gets another shout out with Ryder's noticeably quieter rendition of 'Twistin' the Night Away' (featuring Joe Louis Walker), with the album rounding out with the Peter, Paul & Mary hit 'If I Had a Hammer' and then an Isley Brothers' cover of 'Shout' - both featuring singer and pianist Lewis, once again).
Oh, and this release is also available not only on CD in a special digipak, but as a wondrous, and very limited edition RED vinyl pressing!
Official CD Purchase Link
Official RED Vinyl Purchase Link