Title - 'Especially For You: Revisited / Classics & More'
Artist - Cilla Black
For those not in the know, Cilla Black was an much beloved English singer, television presenter, actress and author.
Championed by her friends the Beatles, she began her career as a singer in 1963, and her singles 'Anyone Who Had a Heart' and 'You're My World' both reached number one in the UK in 1964. Black had eleven Top Ten hits on the British charts between then and 1971; and an additional 8 hits that made the top 40.
In May 2010, new research published by BBC Radio 2 showed that her version of 'Anyone Who Had a Heart' was the UK's biggest-selling single by a female artist in the 1960s. 'You're My World' was also a modest hit in the US, peaking at No. 26 on the Billboard Hot 100.
Along with a successful recording career in the 1960s and early 1970s, Black hosted her own variety show, Cilla, for the BBC between 1968 and 1976. After a brief time as a comedy actress in the mid-1970s, she became a prominent television presenter in the 1980s and 1990s, hosting hit entertainment shows such as Blind Date (1985–2003), The Moment of Truth (1998–2001) and Surprise Surprise (1984–2001).
In 2013, Black celebrated her 50 years in show business. British television network ITV honored this milestone with a one-off entertainment special which aired on 16 October 2013. The show, called The One & Only Cilla Black, featured Black herself and was hosted by Paul O'Grady.
Sadly, Cilla Black died on August 1st, 2015 after a fall in her villa in Estepona, Spain. The day after her funeral, the compilation album The Very Best of Cilla Black went to number one on the UK Albums Chart and the New Zealand Albums Chart; it was her first number one album.
This deluxe double CD set is the fifth release in a brand new series which re-issues the legendary Cilla Black’s original albums.
In this package, the first disc is the all-new 2019 edition of Cilla’s best-selling Especially For You album from 1980. This Revisited edition debuts stunning new mixes of all of the album’s songs following the discovery of the original multi-track session masters.
The second disc is a new collection, Classics & Collectibles, that collates fans’ favorites alongside other musical treats and rarities as recorded between 1976 and 1993.
Both albums contain a wealth of bonus tracks with an incredible 21 bonus tracks in total across the package!
CD 1 - Especially For You: Revisited
1. 'Baby Don't Change Your Mind' [Ted Carfrae Mix]
2. 'Sometimes When We Touch' [Ted Carfrae Mix]
3. 'Just the Way You Are' [Ted Carfrae Mix]
4. 'Talking in Your Sleep' [Ted Carfrae Mix]
5. 'You Don't Bring Me Flowers' [Ted Carfrae Mix]
6. 'How Deep Is Your Love' [Ted Carfrae Mix]
7. 'Bright Eyes' [Ted Carfrae Mix]
8. 'Don't Cry for Me Argentina' [Ted Carfrae Mix]
9. 'When Will I See You Again' [Ted Carfrae Mix]
10. 'You Needed Me' [Ted Carfrae Mix]
11. 'If You Leave Me Now' [Ted Carfrae Mix]
12. 'When I Need You' [Ted Carfrae Mix]
13. 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' [Ted Carfrae Mix]
14. 'Still' [Ted Carfrae Mix]
15. 'When a Child Is Born' [Ted Carfrae Mix]
16. 'Do That to Me One More Time' [Ted Carfrae Mix]
17. 'Sometimes When We Touch' [Stripped Down Ted Carfrae Mix] - Bonus Track
18. Interview with Cilla - Bonus Track
This first disc, Especially For You: Revisited, which engineer Ted Carfrae has revisited the original studio multi-track sessions (as initially produced by Bruce Welch of The Shadows) in order to create brand new updated mixes of each song, is a real gem of a musical entity to behold for all us Cilla fans, trust me.
Chock full of rich Cilla vocal tone goodness, she makes every cut her own from start to finish. Indeed, these new versions now offer listeners a fresh and contemporary take on this classic album.
I mean, I think we call know Cilla could, and did knock your socks off with big band arrangements, but here we also get some wondrous Mersey Sound's too.
Mixed in sweetly too are some moments for her to show off her superb balladry and bring for the emotional chanteuse and her soul for all to witness.
Originally recorded in 1980, these are more pop standards and easy listening tracks, as a whole, but each and every one of them comes alive not only with Cilla's now remastered vocals, but Carfrae's production skills too.
Also of interest here is a previously-unaired interview with her by former BBC DJ Peter Powell that was recorded in 1980 to promote the album on its first release.
There are also special extended versions of ‘When I Need You’ and ‘Do That To Me One More Time,’ which both feature previously unheard extra vocals by Cilla.
CD 2 - Classics & Collectibles
1. 'The Fool on the Hill'
2. 'Keep Young and Beautiful' [Mono]
3. 'You're My World' [Live in Concert - Mono]
4. 'Anyone Who Had a Heart' [Live in Concert - Mono]
5. 'Alfie' [Live in Concert - Mono]
6. 'Surprise! Surprise!'
7. 'There's a Need in Me'
8. 'I Know Him So Well'
9. 'The Feelings Just Get Stronger (Through the Years)'
10. 'Heart & Soul' - Duet with Dusty Springfield
11. 'That's What Friends Are For' - Duet with Cliff Richard
12. 'You'll Never Walk Alone' - Duet with Barry Manilow
13. 'When Will I See You Again' [Bronski Beat V. Qubiq Remix]
14. 'Knowing Me, Knowing You' [Klubkidz Remix - Radio Edit]
15. 'Baby Don't Change Your Mind' [Club Junkies Disco Mix]
16. 'If You Leave Me Now' [Jerry Stevenson Mix] - Bonus Track
17. 'When I Need You' [Jerry Stevenson Mix] - Bonus Track
18. 'Still' [Jerry Stevenson Mix] - Bonus Track
The second disc is Classics & Collectibles, a new original album of musical treats and rarities for Cilla’s loyal fan base.
The album contains various recordings from Cilla’s Estate which were discovered after her sad passing. These include, for the very first time on a Cilla Black album, live concert recordings of her hit single ‘Alfie’ and her two #1 singles ‘Anyone Who Had A Heart’ and ‘You’re My World’.
Also featured are all of Cilla’s A-side singles that she released during the '80s and '90s. These include the catchy theme tune to her hit ITV series Surprise, Surprise, as featured on her 1985 album Surprisingly Cilla.
Other highlights include the title song to her 1993 album Through The Years (as used in the closing sequence of Cilla – The Musical) and unforgettable duets with Dusty Springfield, Barry Manilow and her dear friend Cliff Richard.
Alongside all these delights are two stage songs from Cilla’s sell-out 1976 revue Cilla at the Palace and three all new and specially commissioned celebratory club remixes from Bronski Beat v Qubiq, Klubkidz and Club Junkies, all with a pleasingly upbeat electro-pop vibe.
This release, along with all the others in this Cilla Original Album Series is endorsed by its Executive Producer, Cilla’s son Robert Willis and comes with 20 page color booklet richly illustrated with period photos.
Cilla Black @ Facebook!
Official 2CD Purchase Link